Sunday 27 June 2010

Next Stage

I cannot believe it is almost the end of June. This month has zipped by, probably because I have been busy. This month I have:
    • Gone on holiday to Yorkshire for a week
    • Avoided my dissertation
    • Went to a local writer's group 
    • Found a new flat to move into with Him Indoors
    • Put in a fair bit of overtime at Work Wot Pays Me
    • Started putting some work into my dissertation
Alas my reading record for June has not been very good. Only five books read so far and two WIPs. My WIPs are:


Both are quite big volumes. I started Wolf Hall when on holiday and have been slowly making my way through it. Its size makes it unsuitable for a commute/work breaktime read and I have been reading it in bed. I love books about the Tudor period and Mantel has done an excellent job of this one. She takes established historical figures, such as Wolsey and Cromwell, and makes them into living, breathing people. Only 170 pages in and I can see why she won the Booker Prize for this.

On another note, the booking for the Edinburgh Book Festival opened yesterday. Surprisingly I managed to get access to it at 10am and booked tickets to see the almighty Lionel Shriver. Funds this year mean financially I could only afford to attend one 'paid' event. Shriver won hands down. Cargo Publishing is hosting a free showcase of new Scottish writing one evening so I may venture through for that. Unfortunately the Book Festival is a tiny bit too close to the dissertation hand in date (31st August) so I might be limited for time to play.

This afternoon I'm going to watch the England v Germany match at a friend's house. Alas I am working early tomorrow so it will be a tame time (for me anyway). Him Indoors has volunteered to make a complex dinner (Leek and Cheese Souffles) so there might be time for some book reviews later on. Cannae wait.

No comments: