Sunday 3 January 2010

2010: The Year to Gain?

And the festive period is over for another year. This season went more smoothly for myself and Him Indoors. Last year we were both ill in the run up to Christmas and could not be bothered with being sociable. On Christmas Day we visited both sets of parents and it went better than expected. I didn't eat too much (read: stuff myself silly) and felt the better for it. I also wore a dress on Christmas Day with my lovely new Doc Marten boots with roses up the side. Alas my camera has given up the ghost after many years of service so no pictures.

I have been mulling over making a post here. 2009 was not a great year for lots of reasons; most notably two deaths of matriarch figures in the family within a week of each other. The pain is still there for some family members left behind and I feel a tad helpless. There's not much I can do to help the grief. 2009 was a year for regret and petty guilt for not spending enough time with the people I cared about - still care about.

Resolutions are something that I am sceptical about. You set yourself up in the bleakest month of the year. All these fabulous goals for you to achieve by the end of the year. And, if you're like me, they are all broken by the end of February.

So I am going to keep it simple. 2010 is going to be the year for preparing to stretch my wings. The last days of 2009 were spent having a massive tidy up and clear out of the flat. I came to realise how much random crap and possessions I have in my life. By Bookcrossing standards I committed a sin by tipping two boxes of books into the charity shop bag without even making release notes for them. Shock horror! By then I felt so over whelmed with the amount of bags of rubbish, recycling and charity shop donations that I would have dropped a bomb in the hallway to help clear the mess. At one point we could hardly get out the front door.

I have been watching the efforts (such a pithy word but I can't think of anything better at this time of day and only halfway through my first cup of coffee) of Ms Wolf to complete 1001 goals in 101 days. Post-uni it's something I'd like to try out and see how I get on. 2010 is going to be the year when I get more organised, a skill I seriously lack at times.

This post can be easily summed up by a conversation I had with Him Indoors this week. "I don't want to hit 30 and all I have achieved in life is an in depth knowledge of fecking Come Dine With Me. I want to do something." Not to blast the almighty CDWM but there has to be more to life than this.

No comments: